Mrs. Nila Lad
Retired in October 2019 as the Deputy Director General/Regional Director, Western & Central India, India Tourist office of the Ministry Of Tourism, Government of India in Mumbai.
• Have worked in Tourism for almost 4 decades. Started my career in 1979 with Maharashtra Tourism, got tremendous insight on planning and promotion of domestic tourism.
• Left State Tourism after working for about 1 ½ year and joined private travel agency to get the experience of ground handling, tour management, promotion of travel programs etc in early 80.
• 1982-83 underwent Regional level Guide Training Program conducted by the Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India through its office “Govt of India Tourist Office” (as was known then) at Churchgate but started working as Tourist Information Assistant in the office from 1983, thus the journey of India Tourism with the Central Tourism Ministry began…….
• 1997-1998-99 on promotion through UPSC as Assistant Director worked in Ministry Headquarter in Planning Division which involved work related to overall budget of the Ministry, Plan Projects ie tourism infrastructure development projects in the North East Region of India etc
• On transfer to Mumbai office as Assistant Director worked on various promotional events, training programs, procuring information, updating the same, monitoring implementation of Ministry’s schemes in the region etc till 2006.
• 2006 to 2009 (Nov). Had an overseas posting to promote India in Singapore and countries under its jurisdiction. As representative of Indian Tourism Board, had opportunity to work in ASEAN countries namely Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Indonesia, LAO PDR and Philippines and other Asian countries around. Work involved interaction with Indian Missions and foreign tourism boards in respective countries, liaison with Travel Trade Members and target specific promotions in the source markets. Participation in International Travel Fairs and Exhibitions to promote India.
• 2010 – 2018 On transfer was posted in Ministry of Tourism HQ in the capacity of Assistant Director General (Oct 2010) till 2013 and thereafter as Deputy Director General through UPSC . Some of the work involved following:
Policy Planning and coordination with State Governments and other Ministries of Government of India.
Functioning of Domestic and Overseas Offices of the Ministry and promotions through them.
Tourism Infrastructure Development under MOT funding by State Governments and Central Agencies like Railways, ASI etc
Coordination with State Tourism Boards and Industry members
Representing India in various national and International forums.
Attending UNWTO programs
All other Inter Ministerial issues pertaining to development of tourism and allied tourism products.
Promotion of Niche Tourism segment involving Medical, Adventure, Cruise, Caves, Island tourism etc.
HRD (Hotel Management and Travel and Tourism Institutes) in Tourism, assignments to represent India abroad in various International tourism forums etc etc
• 2018-2019(Oct) As a western India regional head office worked on promotion of domestic tourism in the states of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Gujarat, Chattisgarh, UT of Dadra Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu. It involved multiple activities including coordination and implementation of Ministry’s schemes with state governments, local bodies and also coordination with travel trade organisations for promoting tourism within the state and country and many more… as tourism evolved activities increased…….volume of work increased.
Experience of working in the Ministry and in the field offices widened the horizons, the kind of confidence, exposure this industry gave is unbelievable….It has been an incredible journey of Incredible India.